Many families, including military families, can easily save money on groceries and family meals each week. Grocery shopping can be very expensive, especially for large families or families on a budget.
While clipping coupons can be tedious and time consuming, I’m going to share three different ways to save money on family meals.
3 of the Best Ways to Save on Family Meals
Shop with the $5 Meal Plan
Meal planning can be very stressful and time consuming each week. One way to save money is using the $5 meal plan. For only $5 a month, you will receive a weekly menu and grocery shopping list. This is a major time saver! There is also a gluten free menu option as well!
Each week you will receive an email with a weekly menu. The menu includes:
- 5 dinner entrees (including meals with a slow cooker, a 20 minute meal, and freezer friendly) with sides
- 1 lunch and 1 breakfast entree
- Bonus goodie, which is either for a dessert, snack or beverage
The best part about this weekly meal plan is that each entree only costs around $2 or less per person. Many meals can be made for only $5 for an entire family, which adds up to great savings per week!
Use the Ibotta shopping App
This cell phone app allows you to earn cash back after grocery shopping. After a shopping trip, just scroll through the app to see how many of your items qualify for a rebate. Each rebate can range anywhere from $0.25 to $5.00, depending on what you have purchased.
The best part about this app is that you can get rebates on generic items.
For example, let’s say there is a rebate on milk. It doesn’t matter what brand of milk you have purchased – you will still earn a rebate! Another great perk is that if you redeemed a coupon for milk at the store, you can still get the rebate with Ibotta. That’s some amazing double or triple coupon skills for some people who are really good at using coupons.
Use a crock pot for meal prep
A crockpot is a great way to save time and save money. One of my favorite cookbooks is Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook. There are hundreds of meal options and something for everyone!
Here are a few reasons why you should use your crock pot:
- Easy to make large batches of food and then freeze into smaller batches and meals
- Set it and forget it – no need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen
- Great for using up leftovers so food doesn’t spoil or go bad
- Can make a wide range of recipes
- Easy clean up, especially when you use these bags in the crock pot (<< seriously, the best bags ever)
Hopefully you can implement at least one of these unique ways to save money next time you are grocery shopping and planning your family meals!