One of the best ways to make extra money as a military wife, military spouse or a veteran is to start a blog. Starting a blog can help you share your experience in the military, start a business, have a creative outlet or a platform to connect with others.
If you have thought about starting a blog, now is a great time to do so. There are many bloggers out there that make a part time living or full time living from their website.
- Military wife, spouse or family blog about everyday living
- How to save money, be thrifty and financially savvy as a military spouse
- A lifestyle, food or fashion blog
- How to make extra money or income through side hustling and odd jobs
- Traveling / moving / relocating
As you get ready to start a blog, the first thing you need to do is create a name for your blog and get your blog hosted. This is very inexpensive. I am going to walk you through how to start a blog through Bluehost, which is the same hosting company I use for this blog.
Here’s what you are going to learn how to do in a very short amount of time!
- Select and register your domain name and hosting
- Install WordPress
- Design your new blog
- Start blogging
I am also going to show you how to get a FREE domain name for an entire year when you purchase a 12 month Bluehost plan. The domain name is the name of your blog.
This is a great deal and saves you money!
PICK YOUR PLAN
I would start with the Basic plan. It’s more than enough for bloggers (it’s what I use!). You can always upgrade later if you want.
SELECT YOUR DOMAIN NAME
This is important, so put some thought into blog name. Make sure you pick a name that is easy to remember, not too long and easy to spell.
Using my link, Bluehost is giving all my clients a FREE domain name for 1 year when you sign up for a 12 month hosting plan. This is a really good value, so make sure you take advantage of it.
CHOOSE YOUR PLAN
To get the best price, select the 36 month plan (this is the plan I have!) This will save you money and you don’t have to renew your blog every year. I have heard horror stories from other bloggers that forgot to renew and their blog expired. Don’t make this mistake!
If you aren’t sure if you want 36 months, at least select the 12 month plan. This way you can test the waters so to speak, and still get the FREE domain name.
Bluehost offers refunds, so don’t feel like you are locked into a contract. It’s pro-rated, so if for some reason you want to stop everything, Bluehost will work with you!
Once you have checked out, it’s time to install WordPress. Bluehost makes it super easy to create a WordPress blog. They do most of the work for you!
In Bluehost, click on the hosting tab and then the cpanel tab. Scroll down and select Install WordPress.
NEXT USE THE DROP DOWN BOX AND CLICK ON YOUR DOMAIN NAME.
FILL OUT THE FORM. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT A REALLY SAFE AND SECURE PASSWORD.
CONGRATS! YOU DID IT!
SOME FINAL TIPS
Here’s exactly what I did to launch this blog:
- I highly recommend the Genesis theme (it’s what I use!) It’s the preferred theme by businesses and bloggers and super Google friendly. The Genesis theme is the “bones” or “foundation” of your website.
- This blog uses the Darling theme from Restored 316 Designs. They have a lot of feminine themes, food blogger themes, fashion blogger themes, lifestyle themes, photographer themes, online shopping themes and more! You should have no problem finding an amazing theme.
- If you want to monetize your website, get signed up with Google Adsense and Media Net. These are ads that you put on your website to help monetize your website. Remember, there is nothing wrong with making money from your blog!
If you have any questions, shoot me an email. I can try to help with any questions you might have.